Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Straight, But Not Narrow (Minded)

Senator McCain has become the first GOP nominee to be interviewed by a gay publication. As someone who is dismayed about the degree of influence the religious right has on the GOP and our politics as a whole, I find this development to be quite refreshing.

The Senator does try to walk a fine line and equivocates at times, but he also articulates some very clear principles, such as the Federalist principle that family law issues should be left to the states, that people should not be discriminated against because of their sexual orientation, that sex-ed should be based on scientific data of what works, that "criminal sentences for terrible crimes should [not] be longer because of the views of the perpetrator or the identity of the victim," and that courts should not legislate from the bench.

I think the most significant aspect of the interview is that it tries to build a bridge of inclusiveness between the straight majority GOP community and the LGBT community, by emphasizing common values. In particular, I think the best part of the interview would be better directed at the social conservatives who seem to believe that gay people are morally inferior to "good Christians":

I had the humbling experience of speaking at Mark Bingham’s funeral after the attacks on Sept. 11. Mark had supported me during the 2000 campaign. Unfortunately, I barely knew him, but our country learned about him after 9-11. He was one of the heroes on 9-11 who tried to retake control of United Flight 93. His efforts along with the other brave patriots could have saved hundreds of lives. I honor and respect Mark. Memories of his sacrifice and the other victims from 9-11 motivate me everyday to make sure we keep our nation safe from the terrorists who want to attack our way of life because freedom is a threat to their message of hate.

Here’s what I said during his eulogy:

I love my country, and I take pride in serving her. But I cannot say that I love her more or as well as Mark Bingham did, or the other heroes on United Flight 93 who gave their lives to prevent our enemies from inflicting an even greater injury on our country. It has been my fate to witness great courage and sacrifice for America's sake, but none greater than the selfless sacrifice of Mark Bingham and those good men who grasped the gravity of the moment, understood the threat, and decided to fight back at the cost of their lives. (The full eulogy is available at tampabaycoalition.com/files/0921McCainPR.htm)

This is the civil rights issue of our time, and the GOP needs to get on the right side of it.

No comments: