Friday, September 08, 2006

Making a Commitment

I think it's time. For too long, I've sit around watching my muscles shrink and my gut expand, and I haven't done anything about it besides complain about my lack of motivation to change the trend. There was a time when I could make my own motivation and it wouldn't matter. I'm not sure if I'm back to that point, but if I'm not I need to get there. In any case, at the moment I think my brother has provided enough motivation for me to push me along to the point that I can do it on my own.

So, today, I started on Mark Verstegen's excercise plan, which is essentially the same plan that my brother introduced to Special Boat Team 20 (yep, he's in the Navy). The SEALs are expected to follow suit. After all, SBT20 was plagued by overuse injuries under their older plans, and those injuries dropped off to ZERO after the new plan was implemented. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. And better still, it isn't supposed to take much more than 30-45 minutes a day. Considering my tendonitis and my time constraints, this seems just about perfect.

Right now, my only real goal is to implement the plan and stick with it. I think once I get it to be a routine, I'll view it as one of my daily responsibilities, just like going to class or reading cases. I think I'm going to manage. I've already tweaked the recomended plan to fit into my schedule and bought some equipment. Also, I've been regulating my diet much more strictly than I have in the past since mid-summer. I've stuck with that so far, and I think I'm going to rachet that up a notch as well... I'll have to check my intake levels and see how close they are to the targets (right now I don't know, I'm adhering to the principles rather than any strict plan).

With any luck, this will be an important step in getting my life to where it should be. Who knows, as my health and energy levels improve, I might even stop being the non-smiling mopey guy all the time. We'll see...

No comments: